EDUCATION & TRAINING
Post Doctoral Fellowship in Sleep Medicine (1 year)
- Nithra Institute of Sleep Sciences is accredited by The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University for training candidates for a one year post doctoral fellowship in Sleep Medicine
- This is the first University accredited specialty training certification in Sleep Medicine. We are proud and privileged to be the first (and currently the only one) in India to start such a program.
- Eligibility: Doctors with Post graduates degree in Medicine, Chest Medicine, Psychiatry, ENT and Neurology are eligible to apply
Diploma in Sleep Medicine (1 year)
- Nithra Institute of Sleep Sciences is accredited by Indian Sleep Disorders Association for training doctors for 'Diploma in Sleep Medicine'. Doctors with post graduate qualification in Internal Medicine, Chest Medicine, Psychiatry, Neurology & ENT are eligible to apply. For further details visit www.isda.co.in
Short term courses
Nithra Institute of Sleep Sciences in association with TACT Academy for Clinical Training (www.tact-india.com) offers basic and advanced sleep medicine training program for doctors and also practical training for polysomnographic technicians
a) Basics of Sleep Medicine – One Week
b) Essentials of Sleep Medicine – Two Weeks
- Discuss diagnosis & management of common problems in Sleep medicine
- Interpretation of Sleep Studies
- Hand- on Clinical experience with Dr. N. Ramakrishnan, Director Nithra Institute of Sleep Sciences.
Certified Polysomnography Technician (CPT) - 6 months
- Understand basics of Sleep diagnostics including portable sleep study, Polysomnography and Actigraphy.
- Perform sleep studies under the guidance of experienced Technicians
We have collaborated with other professional societies and hosted international conferences in 2007 & 2009
Sleep Medicine 2007
Sleep Medicine 2007 was held in Chennai on July 7 & 8, 2007. This third annual conference of the National Association of Professionals in Sleep Medicine was endorsed by World Association of Sleep Medicine (www.wasmonline.org.)
Sleepcon 2009, an International conference on Sleep Disorders organized by Indian Sleep Disorder Association (ISDA) along with Nithra Institute for Sleep Sciences (NISS) and endorsed by the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP) and World Sleep Federation, addressed major issues pertaining to sleep and related problems. The three-day meet which began on Friday April 3, 2009 in Chennai, South India at Hotel Green Park Vadapalani,Chennai, India, facilitated the exchange of ideas and techniques to treat sleep related ailments among more than 250 experts in sleep medicine from India and abroad.
The conference was comprehensive with didactic lectures, interactive seminars and workshops involving medical experts in the field of sleep medicine, medical practitioners actively interested in sleep disorders, multi-disciplinary specialists and scientists doing research and development in sleep medicine. Practitioners had hands-on experience in Polysomnography and several treatment options such as CPAP and oral appliances for snoring and sleep apnea. The real challenge in pediatric sleep was also discussed. For more details, please visit www.sleepcon2009.org
Public and Patient Education
Our efforts at educating the public on the importance of sleep for good health are through regular media releases and materials published in public interest. (Nithra brochures).
Nithra Support Group, through its regular meetings offers a unique forum to share knowledge and seek answers to questions relating to sleep from other patients and their family members and also Sleep Specialists. Dr. N. Ramakrishnan, Director of Nithra Institute has addressed several corporate groups, professional and service organizations to provide education on sleep related issues.
We offer consultative services on 'Sleep, Health and Productivity'. In addition to educational lectures on Sleep and nutrition, this comprehensive service would encompass evaluation of existing work environment and suggestions to employers to improve overall employee health & welfare. If interested, please contact us for further details.